Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dear Daughter

Dear daughter,

Thank you for an enjoyable date to the mall. I thoroughly enjoyed spending time together. It is so great to be back living in the United States this year. Thank you for making me aware of the latest fashion trends. I had no idea the fluorescent colors of my youth would return!

I was sorry to learn about the incident in choir class today. Shame on the girl who pointed out to the whole class that you were the only student in your row not wearing real Ugg boots. Ugh! That must have been very embarrassing. I do sympathize. I remember wanting to have the latest styles when I was your age. Nana use to drive us kids from California to Tijuana, Mexico so we could get the knock-off name brands!

You have been exposed to some pretty unique things in your young life. Remember when we lived in Mexico and we visited the orphanage weekly. We decided to hold a shoe drive just so they could each have a pair of shoes, all 140 of them. We filled our van with bags and bags of shoes. You did such a good job that night fitting the little girls in their new (used) shoes. The last two years in Jordan you daily saw poverty in our very own neighborhood. Often the bedouin kids did not have shoes.

I am glad we found that shirt you liked tonight with the brand everyone is wearing. I am also glad it was on sale! :) Forgive me if I do not buy your every desire. We will find a compromise, like Nana did.

I am so proud of the young woman you are becoming. At the age of eleven you understand so much of the real world. You are a wonderful, caring daughter. Always remember that I love you so much.

Sincerely, Mom

2 comments:

  1. I remember the Girbaud jeans with the blue name tag. Not exactly subtle, but we were a little closer to being in style. Plus we took advantage of the Robinson medical plan and bought all our medicine there. Not sure if it worked the way it was supposed to, but it was sure cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. What an amazing job you and Alex are doing with your kids.

    ReplyDelete