Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dear Gringos

Dear Gringos,

Feliz Cinco do Mayo! Did you know that Cinco de Mayo is more celebrated in the US than in Mexico?! It is true, when we moved to Mexico I was so excited to celebrate, but when the day arrived there was not a party in sight! This was pretty shocking considering this is a country that has "fiestas" every weekend. Turns out Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army's 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (yes, that explanation was googled). Not a big deal to most Mexicans. Want to know what day is a big party, Memorial Day! You know, "Day of the Dead". They have mariachi bands and cotton candy at the cemeteries. Go figure.

Today I send a special birthday toast to my sister. She is always one great "fiesta"! I raise my piƱa-colada in your honor and say, Feliz Cumpleanos Hermana!

Sincerely, Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment